2009年12月3日木曜日

November 9th Class Number6 Time

1. Please explain a time proverb in your culture.
In my culture, a time proverb is known a lot of people, but a few people use in conversation. I think that it is a part of knowledge.

2. What do the following proverbs mean:

a. Time is money.
We say that 「時は金なり」 in Japanese. It means that we don't have to waste of time when we do something. Because time have value equal with money. This time proverb is changing of "Time is Precious".


b. A stitch in time saves nine.
We say that 「時を得た一針は九針を節約する」 in Japanese. It means that we had done anything ahead of time, we could prevent big misfortune. Some people say that it can paraphrase as "A stitch of today saves nine of tomorrow." In Japanese,we say that「今日の一針明日の九針」.

c. There's no time like the present.d.Let's meet at 4. If I'm not there by 5, leave without me at 6, and I'll be there at 7.
I've never hard before it , so I researched it by Internet. However I couldn't find good explains. And then I'd thought myself. In my opinion, it maybe means that let's meet later if I 'm not there on time, so you can go anywhere until we meet again.

d. There's no time like the present.
We say that 「思い立ったが吉日」in Japanese. It mean that now is very important in most valuable time for us. I think that "time" means good opportunity or chance.

e. Fashionable late.
It means that it we should visit house about 15 minutes later of program when we invited someone. Because it is manner to come house 15minutes later in America. Because in Japan, it is manner going to house on time when I am invited someone.

6 件のコメント:

  1. Hello.
    Time is Precious!!
    That's right.

    返信削除
  2. Hello!
    I was not able to answer about question "e".
    You are very knowledgable:)

    返信削除
  3. Hi!! I can understand meaning of last proverbs.
    Thank you:)

    返信削除
  4. Hello^^
    I like (d) proverb!!
    But, very different expression bitween Japanese and English!
    I didn't know.

    返信削除
  5. Hi.
    I had no idea about "b".
    I referd to your answer without your permission.
    I'm sorry, and thank you.

    返信削除
  6. Hello!
    I agree with you.
    I think that time is important.

    返信削除