2009年6月12日金曜日

Class #7 Feelings, emotions and facial expressions

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?
I think so.
The smile is universal expression, and it is important to keep good relationship with other country people.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English translation.
①幸せ・・・happy      ②悲しい・・・sad      ③嬉しい・・・glad
④楽しい・・・pleasant   ⑤退屈・・・boring     ⑥安心する・・・relieve
⑦後悔する・・・regret   ⑧心配する・・・worry  ⑨イライラする・・・ annoying
⑩興奮する・・・exciting  ⑪好き・・・like       ⑫憂鬱な・・・gloomy   
⑬ドキドキする・・・beat   ⑭がっかりする・・・・・・disappointed


3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?
Yes,I think so.
It is difficult to translate subtle shades of meaning.

5 件のコメント:

  1. Hi!
    Would you explain about the `subtle shades of meaning` for the examples?

    返信削除
  2. I am very sorry but I have misplaced the sign-up sheet with the volunteers names and email addresses on it. If you signed up to make potato salad, set-up, cook/serve food, or clean up, please leave me a comment!

    返信削除
  3. Hi!!
    I agree with that question 3 is very difficult!
    When we write English report, we think transrate word into English. But, we were given question as question 3, we can't answer.

    返信削除
  4. Hi, happiness.
    Thank you for your comment :)
    subtle shades of meaning is nuance of meaning.

    返信削除
  5. Hello, clover :)
    Thank you for your comment.
    When I write a report in English,I sometimes cannot explain my emotion what should I say in English, too.

    返信削除